Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ana Elsner pays tribute to the Oboe

Chromosomes of Woman

OBOE

The unhurried echo

of an oboe,

attuned femaleness

of sound,

contains me.


Chromosomes of Woman,

bestowed on me

in my wombed beginning,

make me

a sounding reed,

like the oboe.


Chromosomes of Woman,

my manifest prerogative,

make me

subject to no restrictions

of scale.


Like the oboe

I am the unhurried echo

of female sovereignty

trailing

the wind.


© Ana Elsner


From 'CIPHERS OF UNCOMMON ORIGIN -Poems by Ana Elsner'.
Reprinted by permission


Read other poems by Ana Elsner

: :

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been playing the oboe for over five years now. This poem really touched my heart.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful poem!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the opportunity to see Ana Elsner reading this poem at the 'Poetry in Black & White' event held at the SFPL. It carries a clear message of female pride and independence by way of a comparison with a musical instrument.
Very well conceived and crafted.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Leave your feedback : We want to hear from you!

<< Home